Saturday, January 15, 2011

Update

Today my son, Russ, and his wife Cheri left for their adoption journey to Ukraine. I must admit I worry more about their journey than I did my own. It is much harder to send your child than to go yourself. We will be watching their 4 children until we leave for the SCI Convention next week. I cherish the time with the grandkids they are so excited for their big sisters to come home. Russ said to night, "We will be busy with 9 kids" LOL should be fun.
All is well with Lena and Ana, but we still have not figured out Erik. He seems to be a Little Jeckle and Hyde. I really need to pray about what to do, it is hard dealing with his shut downs since their is a language barrier. He zones out and ignores us for long periods of time over simple requests like waking up, getting dressed, bathing etc. It has been trying. There seem to be some emotional issues that we need to understand to be able to help him. He can be nice at times (about 10% of the time) and inconsiderate at other times (about 90%). It causes a strain on our family, especially Russ and I as I feel he needs more structure and clearer expectations. Russ feels time will win him over.
Tomorrow Heather is taking Lena skiing after church, she is so excited she has never had an opportunity to learn how to ski. Erik is going to Lillian's house for a fun day with Dema. Ana is excited to have Grace here for the week and is happy spending time with her.

1 comment:

  1. I feel as if Erik has been trained to be a hard shelled to prepare him for the future in the Ukraine. He hasn't yet realized that American boys don't have to live that way. Maybe he needs involved in somethings with boys his age, basketball, wrestling, etc. Hopefully in time he will realize that he can be an American boy and not a Ukrainian boy.. I'll keep him in my prayers as well as you and Russ.. Keep the faith.. and if it gets you down you can always sing "Lord lift me up and let me stand...."

    ReplyDelete