Friday, December 10, 2010

BIG Day












Today was a BIG day. Rus & I and Dusty and Tina had our court hearing today to adopt the kids. Tina and Dusty are officially the Papa and Mama of Dema. Russ and I now officially have 8 children!
There was alot of emotions, tons of joy and happiness and blessing abounding. Eric and Cindy met Dema today also. So it was a day to celebrate.
Dusty and Tina shared that they held their emotions together fairly well until the orphanage director at court shared the story that when Dema cam to their orphanage fro the baby orphanage at 2 the first thing he ask the director upon arriving was, "Do you have a mama and papa for me?" Dema has been waiting for 14 years, all his life for this day to arrive. God couldn't have chosen a more perfect family for him.
Our court was a bit longer this trip than with Ana as we were ask questions about her also. And of course we alwasy get the question how many children do you have and why do you want more when you already have such a big family? Syvette told us most peopel have 1 or 2 children and 3 is a large family. When ask if we had grandchildren and how many and our response was 8, they chuckled 8 children, 8 grandchildren, would you like to adopt the whole orphanage to which I replied, "I wish we could."
It was great to share in such a special day with Dusty and Tina, Eric and Cindy. Seeing them with their boys warms my heart. Nostya D. was beaming as she got to be with Cindy, he other Babushca. I told her Haiden said she is going to have to learn to call me Grammy, tha Babushca will not work. She thought that was funny.
Andre once again popped in. He is such a little sweetheart. He looked in the room then took off running. I went after him and we shared a hug. I picked him up and he told me something. Nostya said he said, "I do not have a family. Where is my family." Bless his heart, he has been finding us everyday and seeing people come that he knows from America, but he hasn't been able to find his family. He wants to know where you are Doug and Lindy, he is looking for you. Nostya D. and I explained that he does have a family coming and he wanted to know when. We told him after Nostya's family probably February. He seems to accept that. Nostya D. said she will keep reassuring him. Maybe you better send a Christmas gift with family pictures over when we come back (which will be Saturday, Dec. 18, we get home Sunday the 12th). A quick trip home to celebrate an early Christmas with family.
Lena and Erik are very happy. I was very proud of them in court. They were very brave. Erik went first since he is the man the judge said. He answered yes to his questions: do you want to be adopted by Russell and Lori, do you want to live in America, do you agree to have your sir name changed to Walk? Next Lena stepped forward to answer the same questions and in addition she was told, "Are you sure you want to go to America? Here in the Ukraine you are a famous painter, in America you will be zero." She didn't give a typical simple yes, not Lena (she is so much like her sister Heather, knows what she wants and is self assured and independent) she answered, "I feel I will have even more opportunities in America than here in the Ukraine."
For dinner we went out for a celebration. (Cindy, Eric, Dusty, Tina, Syvette, Andre, Russ and I) We had a great time full of lots of laughs. I laughed until I cried, Cindy said she had never seen me laugh so hard.
Tomorrow we go to the notary to start the passport process. Then shopping to buy coats and other items the orphanage director gave us as much needed things for the children.
Tomorrow will be our last day on this trip. We fly home Sunday. Eric and Cindy are staying with us at the apartment we have and will remain here after we leave. It was so great to see them and have them stay with us.

URGENT PRAYER REQUEST:

December 16th the courts are scheduled to take the final vote for closing international adoptions. The preliminary vote passed. If it is brought up for vote and passes then all adoptions will stop Dec. 31 for an indefinate amount of time until formal agreements can be reached between the Ukraine and countries desiring to adopt from them. This needs our prayer attention!

3 comments:

  1. Hello parents of eight and grandparents of 8! We know you would take everyone of the children home if you could. Erik and Lena are lucky children to have wonderful and caring parents such as you and Russ. Look what the two of you started! It is wonderful!! God bless you both have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori thank you for the blogs...We will try pictures in this package...was so hoping he would get the note in the last package and understand that his family loves him and is thinking about him and will be coming...so glad all is going well for everyone this trip and the process is smooth...will pray, pray, pray for the vote on the 16th..much love to you all...L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori and Russ you are wonderful, I think what you are doing is fantastic! I know how much adoption can change a person's life. My son is a senior now and I am done with graduate school, I think, no, I know, you have inspired me to adopt again here in the states. I would love to help these youngsters in some way too. When you get back please give me a call to let me know how?? I would also love to come down to Tyrone and visit. We can share stories about old times at school! LOL. Your kids are so lucky.......Would love you to meet my Aaron. I will be praying for you, Russ, and the children to have a safe trip home.........skovac@nscougars.com/814-505-6475
    Shawn Kovac

    ReplyDelete