Saturday, December 25, 2010

Leaving





Thought my heart was as heavy as it could get until saying good-bye tonight. Children clinging to us with tears dripping from their cheeks pleading for us to find a family for them, a mama and papa in America.

I would get myself into alot of trouble if I shared my heart publically, so I will stop now and say. If you have a place in your heart and home for an orphaned teen please let us know. I will never forget the sweet girl on her knees on the floor in front of me with her hands clasp and tears dripping from her cheeks begging for help in finding a family who would want her and her younger sister as I left the girls dorm. Her big brown eyes glistened with tears as she looked up into my eyes and pleaded. As we progressed to the car we were to take a flock of children followed surrounding us, everyone wanting the last hug and begging for help. We literally had to peal ourselves away from children and shut ourselves in the car or Syvette said we would miss the train.

This Christmas Eve I learned so much and gained yet again even more appreciation for all that we have been blessed with in America. I deeply miss my children and grandchildren and wish I could bring the whole orphanage of children home.

We hurried to the apartment, grabbed our bags and a lunch Cindy had packed for us and it was off to the train station to catch the train to Kiev. Tina, Dema, Mick, Janel and Syvette all joined Russ, Lena, Erik and I on the train ride. We all met in our car and shared bologna sandwiches, chicken, cucumber slices and fresh bell peppers for our Christmas Eve dinner. Followed by a sweet time of prayer, surrounded by God's presence in a packed train car. Erik was very broken and sobbing when we finished, I pray his heart is always open and tender to God. Lena is so sweet and glows with radiance, she is precious and very special. We feel so blessed this Christmas with the gift God has given us and our family... Lena and Erik.

Christmas Day, like no other. This is the first time we have ever spent Christmas Day away from our family. Ukraine does not have Christmas until Jan 7. The holiday they are gearing up for his New Years that is their biggest holiday, Christmas is secondary. The tree in the center of Independance Square in downtown Kiev is decorated with lights that Milka which is Chocolate because they want the new year to be sweet. The tree and lights and all the festivities are for New Years not Christmas.

So we began our day with a home cooked breakfast since Lena had told Syvette she could not wait to go to America and have me cook for her. Sasha came over after breakfast with paperwork. Then Syvette and the driver picked us up to take us on a walking tour of downtown Kiev.

This evening we are attempting to Skype everyone at home since we miss them so much.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks God for everything!

    With love,

    Fr. George

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I are traveling to Ukraine on Feb.3. We are planning to adopt a teenage girl and possibly sisters. The story about the girl begging for a family for her and her sister really touched us. Can you contact us?

    csp@graceplace.org

    ReplyDelete