Friday, December 3, 2010

Laughter & Joy




On our last trip to the Ukraine I realized for the first time in life what the American dream truly was, I realized how forunate we are as Americans to have the opportunities we do to be able to dream and have the ability to obtain those dreams if we are willing to work hard enough. Here as in many places hope is often lacking and dreaming is set aside, hard work is not always rewarded and when it is it can be hard to hold onto.

As I am here on my third trip, I yet again learn life lessons that will forever change me and help me to grow more fully into the person God desires for me to be. Yesterday I was tired from the train ride and only three hours sleep as we traveled and the busy day full of high emotions and even though I was up until 4:00 AM I did not sleep soundly when I went to bed. I kept reflecting on the events of the day and God showed me so many things in the faces and eyes of the children and the simple yet profound moments we spent with them. He gave me a glimpse of what true joy is and I realize in the busyness of daily life in America I do not understand the basic simplistic nature of joy and laughter.

When we went to the orphanage yesterday words are not adequate to express the overwelming sense of joy that radiated from the kids, let me make a meager attempt at trying to catch a smidgen of what I am trying to say. Nostya and Vika D. were like two innocent beautiful butterflies freshly set free from the cocoon as they ran ran into our arms. Their faces were shining and their eyes were sparkling and they radiated a joy deeper than I have ever seen in a person. They giggled to their core as I kissed them on the cheek and told them Babushka was here (grandma in Russian, perhaps misspelled). They held onto me like they never wanted to let go, trying to soak in all they could to fill the empty spaces inside of them.

As we sat in a circle in the back of the room with: Eddick, Lena, Artur, Dusty, Tina, Nostya D., Vika S., Vika D., Dema, Russ and I we mostly laughed and giggled at nothing much at all at times. The dark glasses Artur sported seemed funnier than they normally should, the picture books they shared were full of happy reminiscent moments that made us relive them from our time together at camp and laugh and feel good. The girls showed pictures we had given them when we were here adopting Ana and we were amazed how much everyone had grown up in six months time. Moments gone to never be recaptured. Here we were unable to speak each others language fluently communicating on a level deeper than language can penetrate.

The children were given letters from Ana that she had written them and we all giggled and laughed at the innocence of the small items she placed inside each one: her favorite pair of earings for Vika D., a dollar for Lena, A picture of her with Ryan and Haiden for Nostya D. (not sure why she chose that one instead of one with Nostya's future Papa). Then there was the precious letter from Madie, Russ and Cheri's 3 year old daughter who is just learning to draw people, it was a drawing in purple crayon of a person. Nostya D. laughed so hard she was rocking back and forth on her knees as she looked at the picture her future little sister sent her and then at the bottom of the envelope she pulled out two pennies Madie had placed there for her and we all laughed even harder. Nostya wanted to know if the picture was suppose to be her, I can't wait to tell her today that Cheri told me last night that she thinks it is. The picture on this blog is for Madie, your future big sister holding the drawing you made for her.

Two hours flew by as we soaked in the laughter and the joy radiating from the kids in that circle. For a brief time it was like everything else outside that circle was locked far away seperated and unable to touch what was happening. When I spoke to Lillian on Skype last night she shared some insites with me that helped me to realize that our coming here does not just represent the reality that the children are really going to get adopted, it is so much more than that. When they came to America they experienced hope for a future and they committed their lives to Christ and found a Savior. When we came here and they saw us it was so much more than we realized initially- it was a renewal of hope and a reminder of where they found a Savior.

For all of you who are going to have the privilege of sharing your lives with these children and inviting them to be a part of your family, you will be so blessed by them. You are giving them life and in return they will give you life as you may have never known it before.

There are some children here who have innocence and longing in their eyes and others whose light seems to have faded or gone out all together who are hardened in many ways by their circumstances. It is the children who still have that deep longing in their eyes and that innocence that cries save me that melts your heart and you realize.... I need to help rescue this child. Nostya P. the little girl whose picture I posted yesterday with Lena is one of those children. She had her opportunity taken away of coming on the hosting program when not all children were granted paperwork. So, I am asking for all of you who read my blog to do as we did with Ana whom we never met before coming to the Ukraine and ask God to search your heart to see if your family is the family God is calling for Notya P. and her sister Anna. Today I will attempt to get some pictures of the two girls when we go to the orphanage and some further info about them. So if you want to guard your heart.... don't read my next blog posting. Lol

2 comments:

  1. The first thing we do when we get up in the morning is check your blog, and we always end up crying! So we will read the next and the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to take this moment to vouch for Nastya P and her sister. In particular I have gotten to know Nastya over the past few years since her and her sister came to live in the orphanage. Nastya is the very definition of innocence. That's all you really need to know. I have never met such an amazing example of sweetness, kindness, and inspiration all rolled into one. I have never seen her angry, nor have I seen her rude or the like.

    About a month ago I arrived in her group looking to speak with her care taker. Only she and two other girls were there. Since I had to wait around anyways, Nastya sat me down and we talked for nearly an hour, and I really got to learn about her. (I'll let Lori tell you about that). But then she even gave me a little dictation in Russian spelling in grammar. She had fun playing the role of teacher. She wants to become a dance instructor when she grows up, as she loves to dance.

    I then had the opportunity to give her a gift on her birthday 2 weeks ago because I knew it was something she needed: to feel that someone cared. In Ukraine birthdays are very important. Most kids don't even hardly get congratulated at the orphanage. So I came to her group, pulled her aside and presented a small bag with a card, chocolate bar and some nice shampoo. She was ecstatic and gave me a big hug, with a smile from ear to ear. She is so special, and I pray dearly that she can find a loving home from any of you who read this. Her sister is also a nice girl, though I haven't spent as much time befriending her as much as I have Nastya.

    ReplyDelete